The holder of this position will manage the day-to-day machine shop operations. A strong focus on staff supervision and control, effective production planning and improving department efficiencies is also required.
The machine shop Team Leader should have a professional and pro-active approach and will be required to demonstrate a clear understanding of engineering drawings and machining symbols. They will have advanced machining skills, fully understand machining disciplines whilst and have a clear capability to program, set, and operate CNC machines whilst ensuring the correct tooling and efficient production methods are used.
Ability to change CNC settings and tool offsets. Ability to write and edit old and new programs for new jobs. Ability to select the correct tools with the correct speeds and feeds, fixtures, and jigs to suit the job. Produce and check 1st offs to the correct drawing dimensions and standards. Ability to perform minor preventive maintenance and housekeeping responsibilities. Make sure the machine is set and left in a safe condition.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- To attend morning production meetings, participating as requested and providing an up to date and accurate status on all live/current jobs within the department, any staffing/personnel or capacity concerns.
- Control of all Manufacturing Engineering aspects of the Machine Shop. Ensuring the correct tooling and methods are used to produce components at the correct quality and optimum cost.
- Manage people and processes to ensure the department is provisioned with the adequate tools to enable manufacture.
- Continually work to improve the Machine Shop production efficiencies.
- Manage the "tooling supply chain", with support from Purchasing.
- Run a visual management system to ensure clear status reporting to all stakeholders
- Monitor that all relevant safety procedures are being followed and ensure all equipment is working properly and is being operated correctly.
- To ensure completed work is delivered to the next operations without delay.
- To ensure that that any material or quality issues are dealt with swiftly with the appropriate personnel.
- To oversee production start-ups, shutdowns and shift change overs.
- To ensure start/finish and break times are adhered to.
- Monitor equipment and request maintenance when required.
- Report any issues that may jeopardise quality standards.
- Ensure the department is organised, well maintained with a consistent focus on housekeeping.
- Follow company procedures as laid down in the staff handbook.
- Work to the company 6s system.
- Safety, Quality, Accuracy, Timeliness, Reliability and Thoroughness of work performed.
- Understands health and safety on the shop floor.
- Develops good working relationships with other Team Leaders, Supervisor's, co-workers, and other employees.
- Develops a working knowledge of the production environment and has ability to respond to change.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid Management/leadership experience within a machine shop environment.
- Strong machine shop background with advanced working knowledge of CNC machines.
- Good understanding of engineering materials and how to process them
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven Man-management capabilities.
- Time management and self-accountability is essential.
- Position requires the ability to operate precision measuring devices such as callipers, square, micrometres, protractors, and tape measures.
- Teamwork: A CNC machining process may require effective collaboration in a team of operators, quality inspectors, and programmers.
Hours: Mon - Thurs 7.00am - 4.30pm
Fri - 7.00am - 11.00am
Employee Benefits: Workplace Pension Scheme
Discounted Gym Membership
Joining Bonus Scheme
Refer a Friend Scheme