Metalis are working with a market leading specialist equipment manufacturer, supplying customers and distributors world-wide.
The equipment range includes specialist equipment for use in industries including Pharmaceutical, MOD and more.
Excellent reputation in their markets with a high degree of repeat business.
The company carry out all design, product development, sales, marketing, procurement and equipment assembly and testing at their Huddersfield facility (relocating to a new larger facility in late 2021). Our client design and build their own PLC control panels. Metal fabrication (generally stainless steel) is out-sourced.
Customers include main contractors, specialist contractors, end-users and distributors. Contract values range from £1k to £5m+, with project durations varying from a few weeks to 2 years or more. There are typically 50 different contracts running at the same time, with around 10 or so different projects active on the shop-floor at any time with durations on the shop-floor varying from 1 day to several weeks or months.
Equipment designs are based on specialist design standards, as these are tailored for each project then the equipment will have a bespoke design on each contract.
Looking after around 45 staff including 15 on the shop floor (approx.. 75% mechanical and 25% electrical/controls) for architectural equipment assembly and testing.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in a comparable environment with a minimum of 2 years in a similar production management role
- Must be an excellent manager and leader
- Must be a good man manager with strong communication skills
- Needs to be very organised and good at detail
- Must be able to proactively deal with a variety of different projects all with bespoke designs and varying requirements, in a fast-paced environment
- Must be comfortable dealing with customers world-wide
- Must be able to use own initiative and be a solid 'doer', prepared to be hands-on if required
- A strong engineering and technical background is required
- Excellent computer skills are essential. Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office suite with good Excel skills
- Required to possess a valid driving license and own transport
- The Production Manager reports to the Managing Director
Role and Responsibilities:
Full responsibility for all "architectural" work-shop activities including:
- Mechanical assembly and electrical/controls build
- Assembly, inspection and testing of all equipment
- Production planning and scheduling with resource management
- Shop floor recruitment
- Line management of all shop floor staff and contractors (possible Electrical & Controls Manager)
- Shop floor H&S and RAMS
- Liaising with customers e.g. agree schedules and delivery times
- Expediting suppliers and dealing with quality issues if required
- Liaising with design dept. ref. queries / issues
- Liaising with the Installations & Service Manager e.g. for technical/product advice and allocation of staff for site work / shop-floor as required
- Liaise with Administrator for deliveries in UK and overseas, confirmation of customer accounts etc.
- Stock control and purchasing and managing stores
- Attend production meetings (Design/Production/Site)
- Other tasks as directed